Your students challenge the engineers over fast-paced online text-based live CHATs. They ASK the engineers anything they want, and VOTE for their favourite engineer to win a prize of €500 to communicate their work with the public.
Students see that engineers are normal people, learn that science, technology and maths lessons relate to real life, and become more enthused about engineering.
When are the events?
The next event runs for 2 weeks from 6th – 17th March. Sign up before Monday 30th January by filling in the ‘Register your interest’ form on the right.
Who’s it for?
So much of the activity is pupil-led (the students ask the questions they want to) so different age groups, ability levels, and backgrounds all get something out of it.
- Post-primary students
- High support schools, special schools and other non-mainstream educational settings
- Free for Irish schools
How does it work?
You book a 30 minute live text-based CHAT, where your students interact directly with engineers, ask questions, and let them know their opinions.
Students VOTE for the engineer they think should win €500 to spend communicating engineering to the public.
How much time will it take?
We provide all the resources and materials needed, whether you’re running I’m an Engineer with just one class or a whole year group; including suggested lesson plans and modifications to suit different students’ abilities.
We recommend spending at least 2 hours on the event. This will usually be 1 introductory lesson, 1 homework of reading more about the engineers and submitting questions and 1 lesson of live chat with the engineers.
Why take part?
- Students see that engineers are normal people.
- Students see what engineering as a career is really about.
- Being online gives all students a voice: “The set up allows everyone to have their chance to ask questions, whether they are the loudest person in the class, or the quiet curious student.”
- The students guide the event – they ask the questions and vote for the winning engineer.
- Creates a ‘buzz’ in the classroom.
Do I need any special software or equipment?
All you need are computers with internet access for your students. The live chats are text-based (no video or audio needed) and run through this site.
How secure is it?
How do I apply?
Fill in the form on the right hand side of this page (scroll up) and we’ll email you before each event asking if you want to take part with your students.