On this page you’ll find all the teaching materials we’ve developed for the I’m an Engineer event. They’re designed to develop students’ debating and discussion skills, and help the event run as smoothly as possible in your classroom. You can also find answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.
Materials for running the event
Top teacher tips
Additional materials for use with the lesson plans
Lesson 1: “You’re the Judges!”
Lesson 2: “Meet the Engineers”
Other materials and useful links on the site
- Evening chat flyer – Involve parents and carers in what you are doing in school with this after-school chat for families.
- Staffroom – The staffroom is open during the two weeks of the event from 9am to 5pm. You can chat with the moderators and it’s a great place to get help quickly.
- Guide to live chat transcripts (PDF) — Live chat transcripts can be useful tools for the students to reflect on the lesson, and to look in more detail at the questions and answers from the chat. This guide will show you how to download the transcript, and how to use the data in the file.
- Evictions poster (PDF)
- Student Data: What we ask for and why (PDF) – about how we use students information in compliance with GDPR.
- Student participation certificates – Templates to create certificates for your students as a record of their participation
Our science debate kits are designed to help students develop discussion skills around scientific issues and learn about the limitations of science and the potential ethical questions surrounding it.
- More information on debate kits: debate.imascientist.org.uk/what-is-a-debate-kit/
- Download the kits for free: debate.imascientist.org.uk/the-kits/
- Sign up to receive free hard copies of new kits: debate.imascientist.org.uk/sign-up-for-debate-kits/
Resources elsewhere online
You can find a wide selection of school resources online:
We believe that information should be free, especially in education, so this part of the site is accessible to everyone. All teachers (and anyone else) are free to use anything we’ve created on the site. This material has been created by Gallomanor (unless otherwise stated) and we have NOT copyrighted it. All material is licensed under a (CC) Creative Commons attribution license.