I’m an Engineer, Get me out of here! is back this March. Between Monday 2nd and Friday 13th, students at over 30 schools will be putting their questions to engineers in 3 different themed zones.
For the latest news and announcements about the event, find us on Twitter @IAEGMOOH, and follow the hashtag, #IAEIE.
Let’s meet the engineers and schools taking part…
The Automation Zone is a themed zone supported by SFI.
Tiziana Margaria | Professor, University of Limerick
I solve problems that companies have in managing complex systems that combine software with equipment and people.
Ruairi Williamson | Account Executive, Fluke Corporation
I help companies use Laptops, iPhones and Tablets to make their factories and buildings work better, faster and for less money.
Ollie Otter | PhD Student, MaREI, University College Cork
I am using a drone to test scale models of floating wind turbines in a wave pool to find out how much renewable energy a full scale turbine could make out in the ocean
Nessan Harpur | Customer Manager, Trek10
I work with people to solve problems.
Mahnaz Rashedi | Electrical engineer, Finning
I design electrical facilities for different food/pharmaceutical factories and data centers.
Anna Zakrezewska | Research Scientist, Nokia
We build communication networks to connect everyone on the planet (and beyond!). My job is to automate the networks and make them more intelligent.
- Moneystown National School, Wicklow
- Carndonagh Community School, Donegal
- Colaiste Cholmcille, Galway
- Community College Dunshaughlin, Meath
- Brierhill School, Galway
- St Colmans Clara National School, Kilkenny
- Deravoy National School, Monaghan
- Piper’s Hill College, Kildare
- Our Lady Queen of Apostles, Dublin
- Cabra Community College, Dublin
- St Pius X National School, Dublin
- Clouna National School, Clare
The Environment Zone is a themed zone supported by SFI.
Olga Ormond | Stakeholder engagement, AquaTT
I work in science communication and stakeholder engagement, currently on a project on the next generation of industry- communicating the many benefits and opportunities, including multiple environmental benefits.
Madhumidha Murugan | PhD Student, CAPPA, Tyndall Institute
My work is to develop a real time compact optofluidic sensor to continuously monitor the levels of pollutants in real water bodies.
Connor McGookin | PhD Student, MaREI, University College Cork
I study how changes to our energy system will reduce the amount of CO2 emissions, as well as helping communities understand how they can respond to climate change.
Canice Coogan | Civil Engineering Project Manager, Focus Plus Ltd
I scale the top of tallest masts and tallest buildings in the country, working out structural mounting solutions to support the next generation of 5G mobile base station antennae.
Aruna Chandrasekar | PhD Student, University College Dublin
I investigate how we can make our energy source and use cleaner and greener.
Anthony Newell | Postdoctoral Researcher, I-Form
I look for ways to improve 3D printing to make it easier for designers and engineers to use it for making parts.
- John Paul II National School, Dublin
- Dunboyne Senior National School, Meath
- Knockraha National School, Cork
- North Dublin NS Project, Dublin
- St Molaga Senior National School, Dublin
- Shandrum National School, Cork
- Buncrana National School, Donegal
- Gaelscoil na Cruaiche, Mayo
- St Margarets National School, Dublin
- St Annnin’s National School, Galway
- Scoil na Maighdine Mhuire, Westmeath
- Patrickswell National School, Limerick
The Health Zone is a themed zone supported by Wellcome.
Sanjeev Kumar | PhD Researcher, Tyndall Institute
I am working on the development of compact and low battery consumable antennas to enable wireless capability to wristwatches for healthcare applications.
Orla McGee | Postdoctoral Researcher, Trinity College Dublin
I work with Doctors in Crumlin’s Children’s hospital to look at new ways of designing devices to help children who have problems with their hearts live longer and better lives.
Fiona Malone | Lecturer and Biomedical Engineer, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
I build robots that behave like the human body so we can help solve medical problems and improve medical treatments for people who are sick.
Eimear O’Hara | Researcher, National University of Ireland Galway
I use 3D printing to make new shoulder bones for people when their bones don’t work as well any more
Tom Hodgkinson | Postdoctoral Researcher, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
My research aims to use stem cells, biological materials and genes to repair injured bone and cartilage in the body.
Cillian Thompson | PhD Researcher, BioImplant ITN
I am trying to 3D print a screw that can heal your bones if they break and then disappear out of the body once the bone is healed!
- Coláiste Éanna, Dublin
- Scoil Náisiúnta Rae na Scríne, Cork
- Robinstown National School, Meath
- Inver College, Monaghan
- St Josephs Primary School, Tipperary
- Trinity Comprehensive School, Dublin
- Coláiste Bride, Dublin
- Sacred Heart Secondary School, Offaly
- Scoil Naomh Cualán, Tipperary
- Parteen National School, Clare
- Santa Sabina Dominican College, Dublin